Red Wing is a riverside city in Minnesota that draws in travelers and locals with its stunning natural beauty that overflows with small-town charm and rich history. With unbelievable views of the bluffs and Mississippi River, Red Wing is a premier cross-country skiing destination in Minnesota. The St. James Hotel has welcomed travelers to our luxury hotel in Red Wing, MN, for almost 150 years. If our walls could talk, I wonder about the stories they could tell from our guests throughout the years, with some of them already being well-known people like Bob Dylan and Mark Twain.
Every guest at the St. James Hotel has left their mark from the treasured memories they made during their stay. Make your own mark and treasured memories by booking your stay at the St. James Hotel for a cross-country skiing adventure. We compiled a list below of some of the best cross-country ski trails in the Red Wing, MN, area!
Top 7 Cross-Country Skiing Spots Near Red Wing, Minnesota
- Cannon Valley Trail: Enjoy a thrilling cross-country skiing adventure in Red Wing, Minnesota. The Red Wing parts of the trail will be closed for the 2022/2023 season; however, you can still access it from Welch to Cannon Falls.
- Kinnickinnic State Park: Just a half-hour drive from Red Wing, Minnesota, this state park has thrilling cross-country skiing trails.
- Frontenac State Park: Enjoy cross-country skiing through open prairies and steep ravines just a quick ten-minute drive from Red Wing, Minnesota.
- Afton State Park: Head out on their beginner’s loop or one of their intermediate to advanced trails in Hastings, MN. This excellent cross-country ski spot is just a 40-minute drive from Red Wing.
- Mississippi National Ski Trails: Enjoy cross-country skiing at the home of the Red Wing, MN, Nordic Team. This is one of the most lovely cross-country ski spots with stunning views of the Mississippi River, bluffs, and the Red Wing, MN, river valley.
- Lake Elmo Park Reserve: This lovely nature reserve still resembles how it looked before settlers arrived in the area in the mid-1800s. Visit the Lake Elmo Park Reserve cross-country ski trails just a 50-minute drive from Red Wing, MN.
- Richard J. Dorer State Forest – Hay Creek Unit: This cross-country skiing trail in Red Wing, MN, is considered relatively easy and is highly rated.