The small, river town of Red Wing was once a major wheat/grain market in the 19th century. The St. James was built due to tremendous growth of businesses and patrons appearing overnight. As the hotel emerged and the town continued to flourish, there was a need for entertainment. A space where people could go to laugh and experience the world right at home. In 1904, that space was the Sheldon Theatre. Known by many as the “jewel box”, it is a historic sister to the St. James. It links the present with the past, highlighting a beautiful history within its walls.
The Sheldon Theatre is one of the oldest operating theaters in Minnesota. How lucky is Red Wing to be the home of a treasure? During the early years, the Sheldon was the grand venue to attend live performances. Waves of people grabbed their horse and carriage to see artists like Billie Burke. During the 30’s, the space was transformed into a movie theater due to the increasing popularity of film. Eventually, patrons wanted to restore the Sheldon back into a center of live performing arts. Recently, the Sheldon went through major renovations to secure and uphold every inch of the space to showcase the beauty and essence of an old world.
The grand reopening of the Sheldon was a momentous occasion. The first performance was The Revolution, the famous rock band formed in Minnesota by Prince. This is just the beginning. The 2018-2019 season is packed full with talented artists. Below is a list of the upcoming events.
- November 23, 2018: Home Alone (1990)
- November 24, 2018: Sheldon Brass Band (Holiday Concert)
- November 30, 2018 – December 2, 2018: Inspecting Carol by David Sullivan
- December 7, 2018: Good Lovelies Christmas Concert 2018
- December 9, 2018: Rhythmic Circus-Holiday Shuffle
- December 15, 2018: A Doo Wop Christmas
- December 16, 2018: Cantus- Lessons and Carols for Our Time
- December 21, 2018: The Nutcracker
- December 29, 2018: Celebrating the Legacy of Bobby Vee
- January 12, 2019: Snow White & The Seven Dwarves
- Janurary 24, 2019: Red Wing High School Musical
The St. James offers Sheldon Theatre packages so you can get the best of both historic worlds during your time in Red Wing.
Here is how the package works. You choose an event at the Sheldon you would like to attend, and we make the reservation. Red Wing is thankful and proud to preserve and showcase its history.
To learn more about the Sheldon Theatre, go to https://www.sheldontheatre.org/.
To book your Sheldon Theatre Package, call the hotel front desk at 651-388-2846.